Takuminokaho 75mm Kanna (Plane) with Chipbreaker in Paulownia Box – Syuji Ohgata
Ships for Free
Master Blacksmith Mr. Syuji Ohgata crafted these planes by hand, using the skills he learned as an apprentice under Master Blacksmith Kengo Usui (a fourth generation plane blade blacksmith). Mr....
You May Also Like
Item 155967Model T-Yarikanna
Item 157462Model 98.51053.C
We have purchased all of Mr. Ohgata’s remaining stock of planes – all that will be available now that he is retired.
Mr. Ohgata has named his plane styles and has given each a “behind the name” story. Takuminokaho means craftman’s family treasure. This is Mr. Ohgata earliest plane design. It has stood the test of time. He said the plane will last for generations if it is given the best care.
- Smoothing Plane is 11-3/8" long and 3-3/8" wide
- Dai (plane body) is made from Japanese White Oak
- Blade is made from the finest Swedish Steel and has a Rockwell hardness of 65.
- Blade is set at 40° angle
- Adjustable Bubinga sliding dovetail key
Articles & Blogs
The Japanese Kanna or smoothing plane is a pull-style tool with a heavy-duty blade designed for efficiency and using the body to control and operate it.