Koshinohana 65mm Kanna (Plane) with Chipbreaker in Paulownia Box – Syuji Ohgata
Ships for Free
Master Blacksmith Mr. Syuji Ohgata crafted these planes by hand, using the skills he learned as an apprentice under Master Blacksmith Kengo Usui (a fourth generation plane blade blacksmith). Mr....
We have purchased all of Mr. Ohgata’s remaining stock of planes – all that will be available now that he is retired.
Mr. Ohgata has named his plane styles and has given each a “behind the name” story.
oshinohana 越乃華 means generally more than imagination. Mr. Ohgata’s hopes the plane’s user will demonstrate the highest capability/craftsmanship.
- Smoothing Plane is 11-3/8" long and 3-3/8" wide
- Dai is made from Japanese White Oak
- Blade is made from the finest Swedish steel and has a Rockwell hardness of 65
- Blade is set at 40° angle
- Adjustable Bubinga sliding dovetail key
Articles & Blogs
The Japanese Kanna or smoothing plane is a pull-style tool with a heavy-duty blade designed for efficiency and using the body to control and operate it.